This is a wonderful, chunky, "meal in a bowl" chowder that gains rave reviews whenever i serve it. It is my own recipe, adapted from a roasted corn and sweet potato chowder recipe by Lucy Waverman. My dad, who can't STAND yams or sweet potatoes, always asks me to make my delicious "carrot" soup when he comes to visit (what he doesn't know won't hurt him!). Although this looks time consuming, if you prep and chop your ingredients before hand, you can throw this together quite quickly. Serving size is approximate - depending on if you eat this as a meal or a side dish. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 large yams, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups vegetable stock (may need more)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (i use tobasco)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- 2add onion and saute until soft and slightly browned.
- 3Add garlic, red pepper, yams and chili powder.
- 4Saute for 2-3 mins.
- 5Add chicken stock and hot pepper sauce, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 min.
- 6Add corn, beans and bay leaf.
- 7Add extra chicken stock to achieve desired cosistency.
- 8Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender (or to your liking) Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream and fresh cilantro.
- 10Serve with fresh, sliced, warm sourdough bread or crusty rolls.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for corn, bean and yam chowder
Serving Size: 1 (651 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.1
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 14.4 mg
- Sodium 854.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 18.7 g