Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chowders can be a soup for other foods such as potatoes or corn.
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups basic chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1⁄4 cup ligh cream
- In a medium nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon in 2 tablespoons of water until crisp. with a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel; discard the liquid.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and 2 teaspoons of water to the saucepan; saute until soft, about 5 mintues. Add the stock and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are almost tender, about 15 mintues. Stir in the corn; simmer 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a food processor or blender; puree. Pour back into the saucepan; stir in the cream and heat to serving temperature. Serve, topped with the bacon pieces.