Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Taken from the July/Aug. Food Network Magazine with adjustments.
- nonstick cooking spray, for ramekins
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups milk
- 1 -12 oz.can peaches and cream corn kernel, drained
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten until thick and airy
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, seeds removed and diced
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray 4 6oz. ramekins with non stick spray, add some cornmeal to each and dust all around. Set aside.
- Whisk milk, corn and cornmeal along with some salt and pepper in a large microwavable bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Stir and continue to cook another 2 minutes until thickened.
- Stir some of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs and then combine with the cooked cornmeal along with 1 tablespoons chives and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Divide this mixture among the ramekins, sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until puffed and set, about 25 minutes.
- Mix together the chopped tomatoes, remaining chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top the spoonbread with the tomatoes.
Loved this spoonbread -- it was a definite hit at our house tonight! I did make one mistake though -- I used cream corn vs. whole kernel corn so I increased the cornmeal and parmesan a little bit to make up for it and it turned out just perfect. Instead of 4 ramekins -- I used two large ones (had a little left over) and cooked it a little longer. They make a great presentation with the chopped tomato and chives. Made for Everyday is a Holiday, July, 2013.