Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was greatfully lifted from Better Homes and Gardens' Fresh and Simple Vegetable Dinners cookbook(let). Although the original recipe didn't call for it, I like using the optional lemon pepper.
- 3 tablespoons dried tomatoes, snipped (not oil-packed)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 4 cups English muffins, torn or 4 cups dry French bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (or hot pepper cheese)
- 1 tomatoes, cut into thin wedges (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In small bowl, put dried tomatoes in enough hot water to cover.
- Let stand 15 minutes or until softened, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat together eggs, milk & basil, then set aside.
- In ungreased 2-quart square baking dish toss together the pieces of English muffins, corn, cheese & softened tomatoes.
- Carefully pour egg mixture evenly over muffin mixture.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, then serve pudding spooned on top of tomato wedges.
A great way to use up some stale bread, it forms a nice crust on the bottom which holds it together well. I added some spring onions and some slices of salami on the top so hubby got his "meat fix" with dinner, served with salad & garlic bread, this was a lovely simple to put together dinner. Thanks Syd!