Top Review by Kikimony
Very good recipe! I used frozen corn and used canned chicken stock with herbs. I had to make the creme fraiche and used a tad more garlic. I could not find sherry wine vinegar so I used my sherry wine and added a tad of vinegar, just a tad. Will definitely make again!
- 1 large jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 vidalia onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels or 1 lb fresh corn kernels
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 8 frozen plum tomatoes, halves coarsely chopped or 4 fresh plum tomatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the jalapeño on a skewer directly over a gas flame or in a pan under the broiler, turning, until charred all over.
- Transfer the jalapeño to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 10 minutes.
- Peel, core, seed and finely chop the jalapeño.
- In a small bowl, combine the jalapeño with the vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the corn and garlic and cook, stirring, until the corn is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer until the corn is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer 1 1/2 cups of the corn to a blender, add the creme fraiche and 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and puree until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Return the puree to the soup.
- Add the tomatoes, scallion and 1 tablespoon of cilantro to the soup and cook until heated through.
- Ladle the soup into 4 shallow bowls, garnish with cilantro, jalapeño and a drizzle of the chile vinegar.
- Serve hot.
- Make ahead: The soup can be prepared through step 3 and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Reheat before proceeding.