Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
My SIL gave me this recipe and said it's only 5 points per cup of soup. I cannot attest to how many points, but it is low fat. I've made this a few times, but have to admit I "fattened" it up, but the low-fat version is still very tasty. If you want a dish to serve for a special dinner or to company that is very rich you would need to make the following changes: Saute' your vegetables in 6 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat until onions are lightly carmelized. Substitute regular cream cheese for low fat, regular Cream of Mushroom Soup for the reduced fat version and heavy whipping cream for the fat free milk. Also, add one can (14 ounces) chicken broth. I also use double the amount of chopped onion when I make it. Yes, it does add quite a few calories and fat grams, but it is for a special occasion and you don't eat it every day. DH proclaimed this was his favorite soup (the "fattening" version. BTW, a friend who made it thought it had too much black pepper so please use your own personal preference in that area.
Top Review by kathleenthuman
My friend served this soup for a dinner party, and no one would have dreamed it was Weight Watchers, not even me! It is delicious and filling and festive, and has become one of my favorites.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, 1/3 Less Fat, softened
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (10 ounce) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 teaspoons green onions, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray heavy dutch oven with Pam.
- Add onion and bell pepper and saute' on medium-low for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in cream cheese and cook until cheese is melted.
- Add milk, corn, soup & tomatoes and seasonings.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring to keep from sticking.
- Add shrimp and cook an additional 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onions.