Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Have a hearty soup on the table in under 20 minutes. Delicious and very easy to prepare...even easier if using pre-cooked shrimp. For variety, add one can crabmeat when you add the shrimp. Optional asparagus adds a little color and great taste!
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon very low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups small shrimp, peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry (not cooking sherry)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 5 cooked asparagus spears, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Devein, wash and rinse shrimp.
- If shrimp are very large, cut them in half lengthwise. (This will make them curl nicely when boiled.) Drop shrimp into boiling water and cook just until they turn pink; drain. Do not overcook.
- In a large pot lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, saute onions and garlic just until onions are translucent, but not browned.
- Add chicken broth, water, basil, chicken granules, and pepper. If using asparagus spears, add them now. Stir and heat mixture until almost boiling.
- Add corn, shrimp and sherry; stir to mix well, and heat 1 minute.
Delicious Soup, easy to prepare, I consider this to be a nice light soup. Dh loves soup and this really hit the spot. I added the can of crab meat. The recipe is a real keeper. Thank you BeachGirl for sharing
Great soup! This soup is more of a "brothy" soup and not your typical "chowder" thickness. The changes I made are the following: I increased the garlic as I do with every recipe. I added another can of cream of corn and about a 1/2 cup more of chicken broth. I felt it needed more liquid. There was no flavor lost but I also accidentally added some chopped onion along with the spring onions b/c I was making 2 things at one time. I did add the sherry which I think made it a 5 star ingredient. My DH asked if he could take the leftovers for lunch the next day. I would double the recipe if you want leftovers.
A very nice mild soup. I also left out the sherry. Enjoyable. Thanks!