Recipe by Food Fan
Easy weekend meal. Takes about 1 hour to prepare. Just serve with a loaf of good multi grain bread and salad. My family always comes back for second helpings!
- 5 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 in. strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 -7 red potatoes, cut into pieces
- 2 (15 ounce) cans corn niblets (substitute frozen okay)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 -2 lb shrimp, frozen and pre-peeled
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Crisp bacon in a heavy pot.
- Add onion, celery, potatoes, corn, and thyme. Continue cooking over medium heat for 5-8 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine chicken stock with flour and whisk until blended.
- Add chicken stock mixture to pot and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add half-and-half and shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink and chowder is boiling. This addition will cool the chowder so it takes a few minutes to reach the final stage.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- I suggest you make your salad and warm the bread before adding the shrimp.