Recipe by Pierre Dance
I got this from Bruce Aidells' marvelous book "Complete Sausage Book". Not only does it have the instructions for making just about every sort of wurst, it also has recipes telling you what to do with the wurst after you;ve made it. It is also a goldmine of information on the history and lore of the craft. It is also rife with personal anticdotes of and by the author. Naturally I've modified it a bit, I can't help myself.
- 2 tablespoons ghee (Ghee has a much higher smoking point than Butter. It's easy to make and is well worth the time and t)
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch roundels, i like andoulle, but smoked bratwurst or 1⁄2 lb kielbasa, work well too
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 mild red pepper
- 2 red potatoes, skin on, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (1/2 tsp dried)
- 4 cups fresh corn (off season frozen works but not as well)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup buttermilk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cholulla hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat,.
- Add Ghee, let melt.
- Add Sausage, saute (stirfry) for 3 minutes.
- Add onions and celery, saute 10 minutes.
- Add the Peppers and Potatoes, saute another 3-4 minutes.
- Add Stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add Bay leaves, Cummin, and Thyme, simmer 10 minutes 'til potatoes and peppers are tender.
- --- Note--- When preparing the corn, cut the kernels from the cob, then scrape each cob with the back edge of a heavy knife to remove all of the cornmilk (juice) It's important. If using frozen corn, use whole cobs, thaw, then prepare the same as fresh.
- Add the corn, cornmilk, and Half and Half.
- Cook 2-3 minute 'til corn is just tender, don't over cook.
- Remove from heat. Set 1 cup of the chowder aside.
- Whisk the Egg yolks and corn starch into the Buttermilk.
- Add the cup of chowder to the egg mixture, stir well.
- Add Egg mixture to the dutch oven. Stir well.
- Return pot to stove. Heat, without boiling, to desired thichness.
- Season to taste with Salt, Black Pepper, and hot sauce.