Recipe by Nancygirl
A savory twist on the traditional sweet version, with sweet corn and rice. My DH found this recipe in the local paper, it's from Donald Link, chef of Herbsaint in New Orleans. I always substitute whole brown rice for white, but either way these are quick and great for a side with breakfast or dinner , or all by themselves. Also easy with leftover rice
- 1 cup corn kernel (3 ears)
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine corn, egg, jalapeno, onion, and scallion, set aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Mix well into the corn mixture.
- Stir in the rice, salt, cayenne and black pepper.
- Heat oil in large cast iron skillet on medium. Drop two or three at a time in 2 Tbls mounds, cook 3-4 minutes each side.