Recipe by Tish in OH
I found this recipe on about.com looking for different latkas for Hannukah. I thought the texture, taste and color of this latka would be fabulous and Mom said, make it.
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 1⁄2 cup fresh corn (can use frozen corn thawed and drained)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop 1 bell pepper into small dice, set aside. Cut remaining bell pepper in half. Cut 1 half into very thin strips. Mince other half almost to consistency of puree and set aside.
- Saute corn, diced bell pepper, bell pepper strips and green onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in whipping cream. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt into bowl. Stir in milk and egg yolks. Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold into egg yolk mixture. Fold in reserved minced peppers.
- Lightly brush skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles. Spoon or pour 3 inch latkes into skillet and cook over medium heat, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- To servie, please warm pepper and corn sauce on each plate and top with 2 latkes (optional).