Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "Blue Moon Soup" by Gary Goss.
Make and share this Corn and Pumpkin Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium potato, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small leek, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry (optional) or 1 tablespoon dry white wine (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 carrot, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned creamed corn
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded muenster cheese
- parsley sprig
- Boil the potato in 2 cups of water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, save the broth, and set the potato aside.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot on medium heat.
- Add the leek, cooking sherry if using, mustard, saffron if using, salt and pepper.
- Saute for 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add the potato, its broth, the pumpkin, carrot, half of the corn, and 2 cups of water, and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- In a blender or a bowl, blend or mash half the soup with the milk until thick and silky smooth.
- Return the blended soup to the pot, and stir.
- Add the remaining corn and stir.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese and parsley.
- Alternately, ladle into crocks or baked pumpkins or squash shells, garnish, place on a cookie sheet, and bake at 400 degrees until bubbling and lightly browned on top.