From "Blue Moon Soup" by Gary Goss.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium potato, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small leek, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry (optional) or 1 tablespoon dry white wine (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 carrot, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups canned creamed corn
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1Boil the potato in 2 cups of water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 2Drain, save the broth, and set the potato aside.
- 3Melt the butter in a soup pot on medium heat.
- 4Add the leek, cooking sherry if using, mustard, saffron if using, salt and pepper.
- 5Saute for 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- 6Add the potato, its broth, the pumpkin, carrot, half of the corn, and 2 cups of water, and stir.
- 7Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- 8In a blender or a bowl, blend or mash half the soup with the milk until thick and silky smooth.
- 9Return the blended soup to the pot, and stir.
- 10Add the remaining corn and stir.
- 11Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese and parsley.
- 12Alternately, ladle into crocks or baked pumpkins or squash shells, garnish, place on a cookie sheet, and bake at 400 degrees until bubbling and lightly browned on top.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn and Pumpkin Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.5
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 77.3 mg
- Sodium 925.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 18.6 g