Recipe by internetnut
I helped make this at my Operation Frontline Cooking Class. I thought it was so good I made it for dinner the next night with sweet Italian sausage. My family loved it thought it reminded them of Olive Garden sausage & potato soup and my only complaint I got is I didn't make enough and needed to make more. When I made this for my family I used 1/2 a leek, 2-2 1/2 pounds potatoes, chicken broth, and I added 4 cooked, sliced sweet Italian sausage links. As I was cooking my vegetables they needed more time to cook I added a bit of water till they were cooked till done and the water was gone. When made in class our teacher chunked the potatoes, coated them with olive oil and seasoned them with dry oregano leaves, salt & pepper then he roasted them in the oven at 500°F for 20 minutes to save cooking time.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 white onions or 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper, diced
- 45 ounces vegetable broth (about 6 cups or 3 15oz cans)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned corn (10 to 12oz cans) or 1 3⁄4 cups frozen corn (10 to 12oz cans)
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup croutons (optional) or 1⁄2 cup cracker (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté celery, onion, leek, and garlic in a soup pot with oil until tender.
- Add pepper and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes and corn and simmer until tender about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with scallions (crackers or croutons if using).