Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from Tops it's courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission.
- 2 cups mashed idaho potatoes (may substitute half of a 22oz bag frozen idaho mashed potatoes, prepared)
- 2 cups cooked corn, cut off the ear (thawed) or 2 cups frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (for frying)
- 11 ounces salsa
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine potatoes, corn and egg; mix well with a spoon.
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Using clean hands, form mixture into 1 1/2" diameter patties: dip each pattie in bread crumbs, coating both sides.
- Over medium heat, in a large non-stick, heat heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil until hot. Fry the patties, a few at a time, for 2 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom; flip and cook another 2 minutes. on the second side. (If flatter, more crispy cakes are desired, flatten cakes while cooking with a metal spatula).
- Transfer finished cakes to a baking sheet and keep in a warm oven (200) until all cakes are cooked. Transfer cakes to a serving platter and serve with salsa, if desired. (additional ingredients may be added to salsa such as chopped red or green pepper, plum tomatoes or red onion).
I did not care for this. I have no suggestions to improve upon it, but I think the bread crumbs may have made this too dry. The pancakes were crumbly and hard to form, they fell apart and were rather bland. I liked the idea, these just didn't do it for me.