Recipe by grapefruit
I got this recipe from a family circle cookbook but made a few changes of my own. The original recipe had only 1 tsp of garam masala and no salt and chilli powder added. Made these fritters today for Iftar and we loved them - especially the dipping sauce.
Top Review by mizzlizzita
These were OK...my mom really liked them, the rest of the family didn't. I probably won't make them again. They have a weird flavor. Like, a combination between a great breakfast food and some Indian flavor...they don't taste very good together. The idea of using eggs and potatoes and breadcrumbs to make homemade hashbrowns sounds really good, though!!!
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and grated
- 260 g corn kernels, drained
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 2 1⁄2-3 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- oil (for frying)
- 2⁄3 cup yogurt
- 2 -3 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the grated potato on paper towels, squeeze out excess moisture.
- Combine potato in a bowl with corn, eggs, breadcrumbs, spring onions, garam masala, salt and chilli powder. Mix well.
- Heat oil over medium heat and drop heaped tablespoons of batter into pan.
- Cook 2-3 mins on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- To make dipping sauce: combine all the ingredients. Mix well.
- Serve with fritters.
- p.s. variation: you can use one cup of frozen corn instead of 260g can.