Recipe by Loves2Teach
Frozen creamed corn and fat-free cream cheese are the base for this spicy-sweet creamy chowder. Have a cupfull for lunch , or serve it alongside a sandwich for dinner. From southern living magazine.
- 1 large poblano pepper, cut in half lenghtwise
- 1 (20 ounce) packagefrozen creamed corn, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk or 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces packages fat free cream cheese, softened
- thinly sliced jalapeno, strips (optional)
- ground black pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Broil poblano pepper halves, skin side up, on a aluminum foil-lined baking sheet 6 inches from heat for 5-6 minutes, or untill pepper looks blistered.
- Fold aluminum foil over pepper to seal and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Peel pepper; remove and discard seeds.
- Coarsely chop pepper; set aside.
- Bring creamed corn and next 4 ingredients to a boil in a 3 qt saucepan over medium high heat, stirring mixture constantly.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups chicken broth into mixture.
- Whisk in softened cream cheese and chopped poblano peppers; cook, whisking ofter, 5 minutes or until cream cheese melts and mixture is thoroughly heated.
- Whisk in additional chciken broth, if necessary, to reach desired consistancy; garnish, if desired.
- Serve chowder immediately.