Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 mins
Adapted from a recipe out of the July 2002 issue of Cooking Light. Mark is already asking for me to make this pizza again. Super-yummy.
- 2 ears shucked corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- 1 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese, divided (I use Kroger brand or Kraft Free)
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red onion, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lime rind, divided
- Place the shucked corn on broiler pan and broil 10 minutes, turning as one side gets browned.
- Cool and cut kernels from corn to measure 1 cup and set aside.
- Place the oil and red pepper in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Sir in garlic and set aside.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water in large bowl and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Add the 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup warm water, milk, applesauce and 3/4 teaspoon salt to yeast mixture and mix well.
- Turn dough out on floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Add enough remaining flour to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place free of drafts, 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down, cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 9 inch circle on a floured surface.
- Place each portion on a pizza pan or baking sheet coated with cooking spray and 1 tablespoon cornmeal or place on pizza stone.
- Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim.
- Brush one dough portion with half of oil mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese, corn, and onion.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 8 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chives and 3/4 teaspoon lime rind.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- A serving is half of one pizza!
- Dive in, it is so good.
Who woulda thunk it? Corn and lime rind? It's positively delicious. I used a different crust but made the topping with corn roasted the night before on the grill while dinner was grilling. I doubled the crushed red pepper flakes and was glad I did. I also doubled the low-fat cheese and made two 12" pies (the size of my pizza stone). They are a beautiful light golden color out of the oven and taste just as light. This is definitely worthy of a repeat performance.