Recipe by Aunt Cookie
These are sweet cornmeal muffins (not too sweet), with a cake-like texture. They'd be good with some currants or raisins added, too, I'd bet. I like them unadulterated and unadorned, though...I don't even think they need butter. I got this from "Enchanted Broccoli Forest," by the way.
Top Review by VictoriaRen
So... I'm reading a novel, and the characters are having Molasses Corn muffins
with their coffee! So I had to have one. Was it a real thing? Yes, here it
was. And... they're delicious. Totally satisfied the craving. Good book, too. :)
(Robert B. Parker's Spare Change)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, scant
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I use skim)
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven 375°F Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a separate container, beat together the remaining ingredients. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir just enough to combine thoroughly.
- Fill the muffin cups just up to the edge of the pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pan right away, and cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes before eating.