Recipe by Renie 77
Good chowder for special occasions like Christmas eve or New Years eve. From the Sunday magazine section of our local newspaper. If you cant find fresh lobster , frozen lobster meat can be used.
- 1⁄4 lb thick slab bacon (rind removed)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 cups cooked fresh corn kernels
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced or
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 scallions, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked lobster meat, cut into 1/2 inch dice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon into small dice and place in large pot over low heat. Cook to render fat, 5 to 7 minutes Add butter and let it melt.
- Add onion and cook over low heat until wilted, about 10 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring for 1 minute longer.
- Simmer broth, bay leaf and paprika in pot for 5 minutes to flavor broth.
- Add potatoes and thyme; cook until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add half and half, corn, peppers and scallions; cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add lobster and 1/4 cup parsley just before serving hot.