tornadoes three's Note:
I have never been a huge fan of chowder. Chalk it up to a traumatic experience as a child. However, this chowder is FULL of flavor and one that I use often. To cut down on prep time, use cooked lobster meat, available in some fish markets and supermarkets, or follow the directions below for cooking frozen lobster tails. Bon Appetit 2002
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 ounces frozen uncooked lobster tails, thawed or 1 lb freshly cooked lobster meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 8 slices bacon, slices chopped
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup peeled finely diced carrot
- 2/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1If using thawed frozen lobster tails, cook in pot of boiling water until almost cooked through, about 6 minutes. Drain. Cool. Using kitchen shears, cut lobster shells open. Remove lobster meat; cut into bite-size pieces. Discard shells.
- 2Purée 4 cups corn with 1 1/4 cups broth in processor until almost smooth.
- 3Sauté bacon in large pot over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels. Pour off and discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings from pot.
- 4Add onions to pot; sauté until light golden, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 4 cups corn; sauté 3 minutes. Add carrots, celery, and cayenne; sauté until vegetables soften slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add clam juice and 1 3/4 cups broth; simmer 10 minutes. Stir in corn puré and whipping cream; simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6(Lobster, bacon, and soup can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill lobster and bacon separately.
- 7Cool soup slightly; chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled.
- 8Bring bacon to room temperature and bring soup to simmer before continuing.) Remove soup from heat; stir in sour cream.
- 9Melt butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add lobster meat and sauté just until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- 10Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with lobster pieces, bacon, and chives and serve.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn and Lobster Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (707 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 661.9
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 131.1 mg
- Sodium 491.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 29.7 g