Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced scallion
- 1⁄2 cup green hot salsa (to taste)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can white hominy (about 3 cups kernals and juice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or 4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (less if using canned chicken broth)
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn)
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add garlic,onion,and scallions.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients, except for the corn and cilantro.
- Bring to a boil, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the corn and cilantro, return to a boil and cook 5 minutes more,and serve.
I've used this exact recipe from Jaques Pepin. It's lovely! Fresh and filling - but not heavy.