Recipe by RuPei
This is my version of "Corn & Ham Soup". We don't add any cheese in it and I personally don't use cornstarch or flour as a thickener. Therefore it's healthier and lighter but it's still rich and delicious!!
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 cup ham, diced, quality was used
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) cans salt-free cream-style corn
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 6 -7 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil a little over medium heat. Sauté onion until transparent.
- Carefully add potato, ham and water until water just covers ingredients. Increase heat to high and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until potato becomes soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream style corn, whole kernel corn and milk. Cook until it turns steamy hot but not boiled.
- Stir in heavy cream and butter. Reduce heat to low and cook until soup turns thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt. Add some black pepper in soup bowl if desire.