Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Got this from a church cookbook. Thank you Mrs. Caton.
Make and share this Corn and Green Chili Tamale Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 6 (4 ounce) frozen chicken tamales or 6 (4 ounce) beef tamales
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen white corn or 1 (10 ounce) package corn (unthawed)
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can salsa verde
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- avocado, cut in wedges
- additional salsa verde (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Place frozen tamales in microwave and cook on high until thawed, about 5 minutes.
- Remove husks.
- Cut tamales in half lengthwise.
- Place in single layer in 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish.
- Sprinkle with frozen corn, chilies, green onions and 1/2 cup cilantro.
- Whisk cream, salsa verde, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
- Drizzle over casserole.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over top.
- Bake casserole until heated through and bubbling, about 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cilantro.
- Serve with avocado and more salsa, if desired.
We all enjoyed this flavor; however, it was very very mushy. We didn't care for the texture at all. Thanks for posting!
This is the second time I have made this and everyone loved it! I used half and half instead of cream, probably could go even lighter and use lowfat milk. And I prefer red enchilada sauce over the salsa verde, and that worked great. You can double it really easily so it's good for a crowd. Great recipe!
This is quick and easy. Family loved it - you could probably use half and half instead of cream to cut down on fat - or low fat cheese. I made it exactly as written and it was VERY good.