Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 mins
From Delicious Living Magazine. Very healthy! Can be served alone or on a multigrain bun.
Make and share this Corn and Garbanzo Bean Patties (Vegan) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels (thawed) or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup fresh french breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fine grain cornmeal or 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon polenta (coarse cornmeal)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 ounces arugula leaves or 5 ounces mixed greens, rinsed and drained well
- fresh garlic chives, minced
- PATTIES: Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn, shallots and oregano. Saute for about 3-4 minutes. Cool slightly, and stir in the fresh parsley. Alternatively, you can oven roast the corn and shallots if you prefer.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the garbanzo beans, French bread crumbs, cornmeal, salt, red bell pepper and 2 tablespoons of the reserved garbanzo bean liquid. Pulse ingredients until chunky. Add the corn and shallot mixture, another tablespoon or so of liquid and pulse quickly, about 10 times. Do not overprocess.
- With wet hands, form the garbanzo mixture into 6 equal sized patties, approximately 1/2" thick. Place the polenta on a piece of wax paper and dredge the patties until coated on both sides.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook only 3 patties at a time; do not crowd. Cook the patties about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with the other patties. Transfer to a warming tray until ready to serve.
- DRESSING: In a small, non-reactive bowl, combine the fresh lemon juice with the olive oil. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss half of the lemon/olive oil mixture lightly with the arugula (or mixed greens).
- Divide and place the arugula leaves on 6 individual salad plates. Top the arugula with the cooked patties.
- Garnish with fresh chives and serve hot. Season lightly with salt. Serve remaining dressing on side.
5 stars for a number of reasons. . they are healthy, they are quick, they actually stayed together during cooking, and they were tasty. I served them in pita pockets stuffed with arugula and cucumber slices coated in the dressing. I did sub fresh basil for the oregano, as that's what I had on hand, and it was great! Thanks for sharing! Mine made 7 patties perfect size to fit in half a pita pocket.
10 Stars! This was suberb and super fast. I was home alone and actually had water boiling on the stove to make frozen ravioli when I thought no, I have a can of beans and some frozen corn... And in 15 minutes I was enjoying these wonderful little patties. With a food processor, this was so simple. I used Italian seasoned breadcrumbs in the mixture and for the coating. And water instead of the reserved bean liquid. (Probably doubled the water to make it a moist patty.) I shaped them into triangles and fried them in two pans. I definitely recommend the non-stick pan for easy clean up -- but do still use a bit of oil to make the coating crispy. So good that these are going in the "good enough for company book!" I've got leftovers, so I'll report back on my favorite way of reheating...
Outstanding! I didn't have red pepper, so omitted, but otherwise followed the recipe. Quick and delicious.