- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 ears sweet corn, shucked and kernels removed or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat, picked over
- vegetable oil, for pan frying
- 1 small yukon gold potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE AIOLI:.
- In a stockpot, place potato and enough cold water to corver; bring to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a food processor, blend potato, garlic, mustard, egg yolk, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. With machine running, gradually add oil in a slow stream until thick and blended. Add lemon juice and chives; transfer to serving bowl. (YIELD: 1-1/4 cups).
- TO MAKE FRITTERS:.
- Preheat oven to 250ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with a double layer of paper towels.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter, and add onion and corn; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and red pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Gradually whisk milk mixture into flour mixture just until smooth.
- Stir in corn mixture and crabmeat. Cover and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add enough oil to a large, heavy skillet so it reaches 1/4" deep; heat over medium-high heat.
- Carefully drop 6-8 mounds of batter by level tablespoon into hot oil. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minutes per side.
- Transfer fritters to paper towels; keep wamr in oven. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with garlic aioli and enjoy!