Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Every time I have made this soup someone asks for the recipe. You will go crazy over it!
- 3⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 4 cans minced clams, with juices
- 2 cans canned corn niblets, with juices
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 pints heavy cream (or whipping cream for extra richness)
- 1 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper
- In a large soup pot saute bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onions.
- Continue sauteing until onions are clear.
- Add the flour 1 Tbsp.
- at a time to make a roue.
- Add the cans of clams and their juices.
- Mix well.
- Add the cans of corn and their juices.
- Mix well.
- With a wooden spatula scrape the bottom of the pot until it is clear.
- Add the diced potatoes.
- Cook, covered, over medium-low heat until potatoes are fork-tender.
- (You have to keep scraping the bottom of this mixture with your spatula and turning it over so that nothing burns.) Add the butter.
- Mix until it is melted.
- Add the cream and milk.
- Blend well.
- Bring the Chowder to just UNDER a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow this thick, creamy, flavors-from-the-sea-and-earth soup to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Excellent! This was my first attempt at clam chowder, with a few healthy and sensible substitutions this turned out GREAT! Used turkey bacon in lieu of pork, used only 1 cup whipping cream and 3 cups 2%. Thanks for a great foundation to build upon!
My mom made this at Christmas and we loved it! We have cheesy potato soup every year so we were disappointed with this replacement until we tried it! It's nice and creamy and full of flavor and I'm a fan of anything with corn in it. This recipe is now my top soup choice!
I made this and is PERFECT!!!!!