Recipe by Sandra Silver
Every time I have made this soup someone asks for the recipe. You will go crazy over it!
Top Review by -JL
Excellent! This was my first attempt at clam chowder, with a few healthy and sensible substitutions this turned out GREAT! Used turkey bacon in lieu of pork, used only 1 cup whipping cream and 3 cups 2%. Thanks for a great foundation to build upon!
- 3⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 4 cans minced clams, with juices
- 2 cans canned corn niblets, with juices
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 pints heavy cream (or whipping cream for extra richness)
- 1 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot saute bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onions.
- Continue sauteing until onions are clear.
- Add the flour 1 Tbsp.
- at a time to make a roue.
- Add the cans of clams and their juices.
- Mix well.
- Add the cans of corn and their juices.
- Mix well.
- With a wooden spatula scrape the bottom of the pot until it is clear.
- Add the diced potatoes.
- Cook, covered, over medium-low heat until potatoes are fork-tender.
- (You have to keep scraping the bottom of this mixture with your spatula and turning it over so that nothing burns.) Add the butter.
- Mix until it is melted.
- Add the cream and milk.
- Blend well.
- Bring the Chowder to just UNDER a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow this thick, creamy, flavors-from-the-sea-and-earth soup to rest for 10 minutes before serving.