Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This easy, delicious soup makes good use of fresh corn. Make it a main dish by serving with salad and crusty bread. Recipe is from Chicago Sun-Times FOOD.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 3/4 inch dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered,about 1 1/2 cups
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh corn (about 3 ears)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Fry bacon until crisp, crumble and set it aside but reserve 1 T bacon grease in pan.
- Add butter, bell pepper and onion to pan and saute until softened, 8-10 minutes; sprinkle in cumin and cook for a minute, stirring.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes and white pepper and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add cream and corn and bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat, stir in cheese and season to taste with salt.
- Serve when cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cooked bacon just before serving.
This was very tatsy. I would have liked it a little thicker, but that is a pewrsonal prefrence and could have been my cheese. It kinda clumped in the chowder so I'll try a different brand next time. I even forgot to put the bacon in at the end and didn't really miss it ...very good! I might even add a smidge of garlic next time ( I have a need for it in everything!)