1/3 Photos of Corn and Cheddar Cheese Chowder
A wonderful, hearty soup, recommended for cold winter nights. This recipe came from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Vegetarian Epicure. In my opinion, using milk instead of cream does not alter the quality (it's how I have always made it). I usually double the recipe for a larger amount. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups water, salted
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed (may substitute cumin powder)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream (may substitute milk or half & half for healthier version)
- 2 ears corn, kernels from (or about 1 to 1 1/2 cups frozen or canned)
- chopped chives
- chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (4 oz.)
- 4 -5 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1In a large soup pot, place the peeled and diced potato and simmer it in the salted water with the bay leaf, sage, and cumin seeds until just barely tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- 2In a saucepan, melt the butter and saute the chopped onion until tender. Add the flour and mix well with a whisk. Add the cream, stirring with the whisk until the sauce has thickened.
- 3Pour thickened sauce into the potatoes and their water, adding also the corn, chopped herbs, nutmeg, and salt & pepper. Let the soup simmer gently for about ten minutes.
- 4Finally, stir in the grated cheese and the white wine and mix well, until the cheese is completely melted.
- 5Correct the seasoning if desired and serve. :).
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn and Cheddar Cheese Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 659.2
- Calories from Fat 460
- Total Fat 51.1 g
- Saturated Fat 31.7 g
- Cholesterol 169.2 mg
- Sodium 372.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 16.2 g