Recipe by lazyme
This is a simple side dish that complements pork and grilled meats. It's not one of my personal favorites as is, because we think it's a little bland, but I'm posting it because people have so many different tastes. I like to add additional herbs, jalapenos, and/or salsa to jazz it up a bit. ZWT Mid-West region (corn).
Top Review by justcallmetoni
I really liked this one and thought the flavors worked really well together. Based on the chef's comments I decided I wanted to add a bit more but something that complemented the sweet flavors of the fresh cut corn and peppers. Decided to add a little garlic and replaced the spring onions with shallots. It was delicious and became the centerpiece of my meatless meal. (P.S. I cooked my squash in a steamer as I don't have a microwave.) Thanks!
- 4 small zucchini (about 6 inches long)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed or 3⁄4 cup cooled cooked fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium green onions, thinly sliced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut zucchini lengthwise in half; place zucchini and water in microwavable dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap, folding back one edge or corner 1/4 inch to vent steam.
- Microwave on High 3 to 5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop centers from zucchini, leaving 1/4-inch shells.
- Mix remaining ingredients.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons corn mixture into each zucchini shell.