Recipe by ladypit
This is a nice cold weather recipe. Originally found in the "More With Less" cookbook, I modified it a bit to make it a little healthier. You can add cooked potatoes if you would like a thicker soup, but we didn't feel it needed it. The original recipe called for fresh or frozen corn. I used frozen. I wouldn't attempt to use canned corn here, but my husband hates canned corn and won't eat anything that it is in. So take that on advisement!
Top Review by halloweencat01
AWSOME CHOWDER! I used great northern beans cause thats what I had on hand and I doubled the recipe there is not much left sending it to work with the hubby for lunch. Thanks for posting!!
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups corn, divided
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup dry milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot heat the oil.
- Saute the onions and garlic.
- Add 3 cups of corn, the stock, and the nutmeg.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer until the corn is tender.
- Meanwhile puree the additional 1 cup of corn in a blender or food processor.
- When the corn and stock is tender add the pureed corn, the milk, the kidney beans, and the salt.
- Bring it almost to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.