Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My sister's favorite soup. The fennel gives this chowder a unique taste
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 6 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from 6 to 8 ears I've also used frozen corn with good results)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh fennel bulbs
- 1 cup diced yellow zucchini or 1 cup crookneck yellow squash (about 2)
- 1 cup peeled russet potato, 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Sauté bacon in large pot over medium-high heat until crisp and brown.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Add corn, fennel, zucchini, and potatoes to drippings in pot; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups broth and simmer uncovered over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer 3 cups soup to blender.
- Holding blender top firmly, puree until smooth.
- Return puree to soup in pot.
- Stir in cream and cayenne.
- Bring chowder to simmer, thinning with more broth if too thick.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chowder into bowls and sprinkle with bacon and chives (if desired).