Recipe by Glitterhoof
I love bran muffins but I have several allergies that keep my from enjoying anything except home made. This is an adaptation of veggie_mama's High Fiber Low Calorie Bran Muffins. They're really healthy, so if you'll looking for a sweet cake-like muffin this isn't the one for you.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural bran
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (I use organic 3% MF Balkan style because it's corn-free)
- 1⁄4 cup honey (or 1/4 cup cane sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and spay 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Mix all dry inredients in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into well, add blueberries and mix until just combined.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, let stand 5 minutes in pan the remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- I enjoy these with organic peanut butter or English double cream.