Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe from Christine Manfield. Pesto with an Asian twist. The ingredients should be available from Asian food stores/markets. It is important to use Vietnamese mint, not ordinary mint, as the flavour is quite different.
- Heat oil and roast peanuts over medium heat until golden.
- Strain peanuts from oil and cool, reserving both.
- Blend the peanuts in a food processor with the chilli, ginger and garlic.
- Add the holy basil, Vietnamese mint and coriander and half of the reserved oil.
- Blend to make a smooth paste.
- Add the sugar, fish sauce and lime juice.
- Blend again, and gradually pour in the remaining oil as you do so, to make a smooth paste.
- To store, spoon the pesto into a sterile container, cover with a film of peanut oil and seal.
- Keep refrigerated.
This was excellent. I used the basil and mint that was for sale in the asian grocery so I assumed it was holy basil and vietnamese mint. The flavours really worked well. I served it with grilled tuna steaks - yum!