A mild Indian dish with lots of flavor, the original recipe from Madhur Jaffrey calls for chicken parts, if you use those buy a bit more chicken and adjust the cooking time. Found this recipe about 20 years ago and it has become one of our favorites.
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs, cut in large chunks
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger, mixed with
- 4 tablespoons water
- 7 ounces fresh coriander leaves, washed and very finely chopped
- 1 finely chopped and deseeded green chili pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 fluid ounces water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat the oil and brown the chicken, you might have to do that in batches, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the garlic to the same oil, when that starts to brown lower the heat to medium and add the ginger/water mix, fry this for 1 minute Then add: coriander, chili, cayenne, cumin, coriander, turmeric and salt, cook for another minute and mix well.
- Return the chicken to the pan, with the accumulated juices, add the water and the lemon juice.
- Stir, bring to the boil, and then cover and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes, depending what chicken meat is used.
- When cooked and you find the sauce too thin, uncover the pot and reduce the sauce by using some higher heat.
Coriander is the ground seeds of the cilantro plant, so fressh coriander leaves = fresh cilantro. I didn't know this, hope it's helpful to others
I adored this and Hubby kinda liked it but he's no fan of chicken at the best of times so we can discount his opinion here LOL. I loved the garlic and the punch of the coriander (cilantro) and the spiciness too. YUM!!! Like Bergy we also chopped the chicken into small bits before cooking. Defiantly a recipe I will keep on file, Thanks!!!
All the family loved this recipe, will be cooking it again. I did not have turmeric so I substituted Garam Masala