Recipe by DailyInspiration
Another recipe from my Sunset cookbook. This pineapple/coconut flavored stirfry shrimp curry is served over vermicelli noodles. Sounds simple, yet flavorful.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
That's exactly what it is, simple and flavourful! A little sweet and exotic, a little touch of spice, the flavours come together nicely and don't compete or overwhelm. Easily prepared, a real pleasure for a special midweek dinner. I used a roasted garam masala for the curry powder. I served this as directed, but must confess, I would prefer to serve it with rice when next I make it, which I shall :) You might also add some sliced green pepper or maybe a little cubed pineapple to this, but it's excellent as stands. Thank you Nancy! Made for PMMR tag game, Aus/NZ.
- 453.59 g vermicelli
- 158.51 ml pineapple-coconut juice (or unsweetened pineapple juice with 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut)
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 14.79 ml curry powder
- 14.79 ml ground coriander
- 0.59 ml ground cayenne pepper (I would prefer red pepper flakes)
- 680.38 g large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6-8 quart pan, cook vermicelli in about 4 quarts boiling water until just tender to bite (8-10 minutes); or cook according to package directions. Drain well, transfer to a warmed rimmed platter; and keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking, in a small bowl, stir together pineapple-coconut juice and cornstarch until blended; set aside. Heat oil in a wide non-stick frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add onion, garlic and 2 tablespoons water. Stir-fry until liquid has evaporated and onion is soft and beginning to brown (about 5 minutes). Add curry powder, coriander, and red pepper to pan; stir to blend. Immediately add shrimp and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture well; pour into pan. Stir until sauce is bubbly and shrimp are just opaque in center; cut to test, cook 1-2 more minutes. Add parsley and mix gently but thoroughly. Spoon shrimp mixture over pasta; garnish with lime wedges. Season with salt.