Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is equally good served hot, room temp or chilled.
- 8 ounces couscous (225g)
- 14 ounces chickpeas, drained & rinsed (400g)
- 1 pint boiling water (570ml)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30ml)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (15ml)
- 1 tablespoon chopped preserved lemon (or lemon juice, 15ml)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or finely chopped)
- 6 spring onions, chopped (or 1/2 of a red onion, finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (can use more, depending on personal taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ground sumac (optional)
- Place the couscous, drained chick peas, oils, garlic, spring onion and chopped lemon or lemon juice in a large heatproof bowl or jug.
- Pour boiling water the mix and stir together with a fork. The couscous will absorb the liquids quite quickly.
- Add the fresh coriander, reserving a little as a garnish if you wish, and season.
- If it is to be eaten hot, this salad should be made just before it is served as it cools quickly. (If necessary, it can be briefly reheated in a microwave, but may need a little more water if this is done although it is best not made too far in advance.) Alternatively it can be left to cool and is ideal served cold, perhaps as part of a buffet.
- Sprinkle with reserved coriander, or a few individual leaves and a little sumac powder (optional) or ground black pepper.