Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
from Martha Stewart Living, 1/07
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seed, pods
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground fresh nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 6 scallions, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 6 thin carrots, peeled, and halved lengthwise
- 1 large red onion, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 4 (6 ounce) chicken cutlets (about 6 oz each)
- 2 mandarin oranges, halved
- fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Toast coriander pods, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Grind to a fine powder in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a bowl; stir in nutmeg and cayenne with a fork. Add cilantro, scallions, salt and ginger; stir to combine.
- Place carrots and onion in a 13 x 9" baking dish. Stir together coconut milk, carrot juice, and ginger in a glass mesauring cup. Pout 1 cup mixture over veggies, and transfer to oven; cook 12 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Dredge chicken in spice mixture to coat. Set on top of veggies; drizzle with remaining coconut milk mixture. Cook until chicken is cooked through (25-30 minutes). Transfer chicken and veggies to a plate, and tent with foil.
- Ladle about 1 1/2 cups pan juices into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer; cook until reduced by half (6-7 minutes).
- Divide chicken and veggie among 4 plates; drizzle with sauce.
- Serve with oranges; garnish with cilantro sprigs.