Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A fantastic easy casserole for anyone, but particularly those on the Weight Watchers Core® plan.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 14 1⁄2 ounces dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 cups low-fat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*. Spray a 9 x 13" casserole pan with Pam.
- Bring 2-1/4 cups water plus bouillon cube to a boil.
- Stir in polenta, and whisk until fairly thick and most lumps are gone (just a few minutes). Spread into bottom of casserole pan and set aside.
- Brown beef, onion, and green pepper.
- Add chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper, and mix well. Add tomato paste, Ro-Tel, corn (with juice; do not drain), and kidney beans.
- Spread over the cornmeal crust and top evenly with cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350*.
I love this dish. I have made it vegetarian for my daughter by using veggie boulion and no meat at all, with all the beans and cheese you still have protein. I do not use fat free cheese but I used low fat cheese and I don't think I put the whole two cups on it either. Num num
I made a couple of changes - first I used a low sodium chicken broth instead of bouillon for health reasons. Second I was out of ro-tel and I had no cans of green chilis to make my own so I used a can of fire roasted tomatos. We enjoyed the dish very much but the one thing I would change is the cheese. Next time I will use fat free American cheese because it melts better than the fat free cheddar.