Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
To go along with HSM theme nights Breaded chicken stuffed with ham and cheese sounds pretty pedestrian, but it tastes extraordinary. This recipe includes an easy cream sauce to boot.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 slices cooked ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup corn flakes cereal, crumbs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place each chicken breast half between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet to about 1/8 inch thickness. Place a finger of cheese on each ham slice and sprinkle lightly with thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Roll up seasoned ham and cheese 'jellyroll-style', then roll each chicken breast with ham and cheese inside. Tuck in ends and fasten with toothpicks.
- Place melted butter in a small bowl and place cereal crumbs in a shallow dish or bowl. Dip each chicken roll in butter or margarine, then roll in crumbs, turning to coat thoroughly. Place coated rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for about 40 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Serve with cordon bleu sauce, if desired.
- To Make Cordon Bleu Sauce: In a small saucepan mix together the soup, sour cream and lemon juice. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, and serve hot over chicken rolls. Makes about 2 cups; 8 servings of 1/4 cup each.
Would you think me crazy should I rhapsodize about chicken? The pounding, rolling, and toothpicking is well worth the trouble, otherwise a very easy recipe that pleased everyone. Oh, and the sauce was lucious. All other chicken recipes move over. This has become the apple of my eye!