2 hrs 15 mins
Makes two 1 1/2 quart souffle-like casseroles. Not really true souffles, but made in souffle dishes. Adapted from Gourmet. The person who submitted the original version to the magazine said it had been a favorite holiday dish made by his Aunt. I clipped this recipe almost 15 years ago, meaning to try it for the holidays. I think it sounds very unique with all of the extracts. Hopefully I will remember to try it this year, now that I have it stored on Zaar. Not for dieters!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes, unpeeled,cut into pieces
- water, as needed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces,at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Have ready two 1 1/2 quart round deep casseroles/souffle dishes.
- 3Cover potatoes with enough cold water to over them by 1" in a large pot.
- 4Bring to a boil and boil potatoes for 30-45 minutes or until tender, adjusting heat as needed.
- 5Drain, peel, and then place into a mixing bowl and using a mixed, beat them just until they are smooth (without overbeating or they will get gluey).
- 6Beat in the butter, sugar, eggs 1 at a time, flour, salt, and extracts until well combined.
- 7Put half of the mixture into each of the two souffle dishes.
- 8Mix together nuts,the brown sugar,and the cinnamon and sprinkle on top of each evenly.
- 9Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cordele's Thanksgiving Sweet Potato Souffle Casseroles
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.6
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 93.6 mg
- Sodium 190.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 25.6 g
- Protein 5.8 g