Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
I would rather drink Coquitos instead of eggnog during the holidays. I did not see my favorite version posted so I am sharing it with my Beverage Forum buddies for the holidays. Time to make does not include chill time so plan accordingly. Happy Holidays!
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 pieces lime zest, thick strips of zest
- 25 cinnamon sticks
- 2 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup pure vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks (optional)
- 2 1⁄4 cups light rum (Bacardi)
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer water, lime zest and 1 cinnamon stick in a pot until the water turns golden, about 15 minutes.
- Strain into a Pyrex bowl or extra large glass measuring cup (or something that can withstand the heat) and refrigerate until chilled, for 1 hour or even up to 1 week.
- Whisk the sugar, coconut milk, evaporated milk, vanilla, egg yolks and rum into the chilled mixture, until the sugar dissolves.
- Refrigerate for about 1 - 2 hours.
- Stir well and serve in small chilled martini or cordial glasses. Add the remaining cinnamon sticks to each glass as garnish.