Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Special equipment: 16 (2 1/2-inch) scallop shells* or 8 (2-oz) ramekins Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 1 hr
- 1⁄4 cup coarse fresh breadcrumb, from a baguette
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (1/2 oz)
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 turkish bay leaves or 1⁄4 california bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb sea scallops, tough muscle removed from side of each if necessary and scallops cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb small mushroom, halved lengthwise,then thinly sliced lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 8 cups kosher salt, to stabilize scallop shells (if using)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toast bread crumbs on a baking sheet in middle of oven until pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes, then toss with cheese.
- Simmer wine, water, onion, bay leaf, salt, and pepper in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan, uncovered, 5 minutes, then add scallops and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer scallops to a platter with a slotted spoon to cool, returning any onions to pan, then boil cooking liquid until reduced to about 1 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour cooking liquid through a sieve into a bowl.
- Cook mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter in a 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together cream and yolk in a heatproof bowl.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in cleaned 2 1/2- to 3-quart saucepan over moderately low heat, then add flour and cook roux, whisking, 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add reduced cooking liquid in a stream, whisking constantly.
- Return pan to heat and simmer, whisking, 1 minute.
- Pour sauce in a slow stream into cream mixture, whisking constantly, then pour sauce back into pan and simmer, whisking, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler.
- Stir scallops and mushrooms into sauce, then divide among scallop shells or ramekins and sprinkle with bread crumb mixture.
- If using shells, spread kosher salt evenly in a large shallow baking pan, then nestle shells in salt.
- Dot scallops with remaining 2 tablespoons butter, then broil about 4 inches from heat until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Cooks' note: Scallop mixture can be made (but not spooned into shells or ramekins) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Reheat in a saucepan over moderate heat before proceeding.