Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "All About Scallops... and How to Cook 'Em!", copyright info not available, printed before 1958.
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs, buttered with
- Defrost scallops if frozen, cut in 4ths.
- Slice or chop mushrooms; cook in 2 tablespoons of butter and lemon juice until golden brown, stirring often.
- Combine wine, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper in large saucepan; add scallops; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Drain, saving 1 cup broth.
- Make a white sauce with remaining butter, flour, scallop broth and half and half.
- Add scallop mixture and mushrooms to sauce; spoon into 6 scallop shells; top with buttered crumbs.
- Bake in 400 oven, until crumbs are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- This recipe can be made ahead of time and heated at meal time.