Recipe by papergoddess
Elegant but hearty chicken and wine dish. A nice blend of Burgundy, herbs, and garlic. I serve this with hot cooked noodles, crusty French bread, and a salad for a wonderful company meal. And don't forget the wine!
Top Review by Lizzie-Babette
Omigosh, was this great! Made it almost exactly as written, but had to make a few substitutions since I'd underestimated what I had in the house. Didn't have small onions, so took one large one and cut it into eighths, couldn't find my cheesecloth (or I don't have any - I'm still looking!), so just put the herbs in with the broth and wine and just discarded the bay leaf, and only had lowfat bacon, which made for scant drippings, but it all still worked out beautifully. The taste was delicious, the chicken was moist, and soaked up the juice/broth/wine, which is good, since we also didn't have any bread, either! We'll have the leftovers for dinner tonight (gonna get some bread this time), and I can hardly wait. You guys have GOT to try this - it is PERFECT for company, since you can get it cooking before guests arrive, clean up your kitchen (minimal mess, too, I might add), and just wait for the magic to happen. DH and I didn't speak for the first few bites - just made little whimpering noises (for us, this translates into "too good for words", and it was!). This is going into my cookbook immediately and I'll be making this often during the holidays and through the winter. I know I'm raving, but it's worth it - this dish is just superb!
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up (I remove the skin)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 small onions
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 4 carrots, halved or julienned
- 1 cup chicken broth (or 1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup water)
- 1 cup red Burgundy wine
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs parsley (tied in cheesecloth bag, or place in teaball)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, salt and pepper and put in paper or plastic bag.
- Drop chicken pieces into bag and shake to coat.
- In large skillet fry bacon until crisp; drain and reserve bacon bits.
- Brown chicken in bacon drippings.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add onions and mushrooms to skillet and cook until onions are tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Return chicken pieces to skillet (or you can place this in a large oven-proof baking dish).
- Add remaining ingredients, including bacon bits.
- Cover and simmer about 1 hours.
- or until chicken is tender.
- (Or cover and bake at 350F for 1-1 1/2 hrs).
- Remove Bouquet Garni before serving.
- Skim off excess fat.
- If desired, sprinkle with snipped parsley.