1/1 Photo of Coq Au Vin Blanc
1 hr 25 mins
This is from my Eat Well Stay Well cookbook. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m typing it up for ZWT. This is a white wine version of the French county stew and is much lower in fat than the original. This could probably be adapted to be a crock pot recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 roasting chicken
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 2 carrots, halved and cut in 1 inch lengths
- 1/2 small mushroom, halved
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, blended with 1 t water
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1In a Dutch oven, combine the bacon and ¼ cup water over moderate heat.
- 2Cook for 4 minutes or until the bacon has rendered its fat and is lightly crisped. Cut the chicken into 8 pieces, (use the wings and back pieces for stock or discard).
- 3Skin the chicken and dredge in the flour, shaking off the excess. Sauté the chicken in the bacon drippings for 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- 4Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- 5Add the pearl onions and carrots to the pan and cook for 10 minutes or until the onions are golden.
- 6Add the mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes or until they begin to release their juices.
- 7Add the wine to the pan, increase the heat to high, and cook for 3 minutes, scraping up and browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pan.
- 8Add the broth, salt, rosemary, sage and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 9Return the chicken pieces to the pan; reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- 10Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Bring the sauce to a boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture, and cook, stirring until lightly thickened.
- 11Stir in the parsley and spoon over the chicken.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coq Au Vin Blanc
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.2
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 56.1 mg
- Sodium 684.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 15.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen pearl onions