Recipe by coconutty
This recipe is adapted from Myra Waldo and is being posted for safekeeping. It looks good and simple (compared to some other recipes). I haven't tried making this, so if someone does, please let me know how it turned out.
- 5 lbs roasting chickens, cut up
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 white pearl onions, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped ham (or bacon)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 8 button mushroom caps
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. (Note that this can also be cooked on top of the stove.).
- Roll chicken in flour; brown in butter in a skillet over moderate heat.
- Place chicken in a heavy, buttered casserole.
- Brown the onions in the remaining fat in the skillet. Add to chicken with ham or bacon.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and parsley.
- Add wine.
- Cover; bake for 2 hours until chicken is tender, or cook on stovetop over very low heat. (I don't know how long the stovetop cooking takes).