Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great for healthy/lower carb diets.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 20 white pearl onions, soaked in warm water and peeled (about 1/2 a 10oz package or generous 1 cup)
- 1 (12 ounce) package mushrooms, each cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh fresh parsley leaves, and stems chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F In 5-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until browned. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. To bacon fat in Dutch oven, add half of chicken and cook over medium-high heat until browned on all sides, 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to large bowl. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- To same Dutch oven, add chopped onion, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with chicken. Add pearl onions and mushrooms to Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl with chicken.
- In same Dutch oven, melt butter. Add flour and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. With wire whisk, whisk in wine until smooth. Stir in broth and tomato paste. Heat to boiling, whisking frequently; boil 2 minutes.
- Return chicken, vegetables, and three-fourths of bacon to Dutch oven. Add bay leaves; heat to boiling. Cover Dutch oven and bake until chicken loses it's pink color throughout, 40 to 45 minutes, turning chicken once.
- To serve, discard bay leaves. Skim and discard fat. Transfer Coq au Vin to large serving bowl; sprinkle with parsley and remaining bacon.