1/3 Photos of Coq Au Vin
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I can't remember where I found this recipe. I've been making it for years and it's one of my families most requested. I prepare this in a cooker/fryer. Cook time includes all cooking needed. The meat gets so tender through the final cooking process that the meat literally falls off the bones. Because of that, I prefer to use all boneless chicken thighs and breasts. A rule of thumb to follow for the wine......only use a wine in this recipe that you consider good enough to drink.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, chop and cook til crispy
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 broiler-fryer chickens, cut into quarters
- 16 small white pearl onions (peeled and left whole)
- 16 large mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 bunch scallion (cleaned and cut up)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups dry red table wine
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Preheat cooker/fryer to 300 degrees.
- 2Cook bacon till crisp.
- 3Remove and reserve.
- 4Add butter to bacon fat and brown chicken pieces.
- 5Remove chicken and reserve.
- 6Lightly cook onions and mushrooms.
- 8Pour out drippings and reserve 2 tablespoons in cooker.
- 9Cook garlic and scallions till limp.
- 10Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes till flour has browned.
- 11Turn off heat.
- 12Stir in wine, bouillon and 1 cup of boiling water.
- 13Turn heat up to 300 degrees and stir till mix comes to a boil.
- 14Add salt, pepper, thyme and bayleaf.
- 16Add bacon, chicken, onions and mushrooms.
- 18Turn heat to simmer and cook for 30 to 45 minutes till chicken in tender.
- 19Remove bayleaf before serving.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coq Au Vin
Serving Size: 1 (553 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 805.5
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 210.8 mg
- Sodium 1117.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 47.7 g