1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
A variation on the classic _coq au vin_ using Riesling instead of the traditional Bordeaux. Adapted from a recipe by Kerry Saretsky at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/c955C1
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into lardons (1/3-inch wide strips)
- 1 chicken, cut in 10 pieces (2 breasts each cut in half, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks, 2 wings)
- sea salt
- 1/2 onion, medium diced
- 1/2 lb cremini mushroom, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups dry riesling wine
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1Melt butter in 12" straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper-towel lined plate (with slotted spoon or tongs), reserving fat in pan off heat.
- 2Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with salt. Return pan to heat until just beginning to smoke. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook until golden on both sides, turning once, about 8 minutes total. Remove pan from heat and transfer chicken to a holding plate.
- 3Remove all but 2 tbsp of fat from pan. Add onions and mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has come out and evaporated, and vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- 4Add wine, increase to high heat and boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Return chicken to pan and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer 40 minutes. Add black pepper, return bacon to pan and simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked.
- 5Remove chicken to serving platter. Increase heat to medium-high and boil until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in creme fraiche and parsley, pour over chicken and serve with buttered wide egg noodles.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coq Au Riesling
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 594.4
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 169.6 mg
- Sodium 253.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 37.4 g