Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
i found this recipe in a local singapore magazine. Instead of using red wine like the traditional Coq Au Vin, this one uses a slightly sweet German white wine. It's comfort food at its best - tender, juicy chicken braised in sweet creamy sauce. It's as aromatic as it is delicious. The pancetta gives the dish a slightly smoky taste. Impressive and easy too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 100 g pancetta, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 200 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 chicken thighs
- 300 ml double cream or 300 ml thickened cream
- 500 ml Gewurztraminer wine or 500 ml riesling wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter and oil together in a heavy saucepan or pot.
- Brown the pancetta a little, then add carrots, onions and garlic.
- Leave to cook over moderate heat until onions have softened but not colored.
- Scoop out onions, pancetta and carrots with slotted spoon, set aside.
- Brown thighs in the pan.
- Put the onions, pancetta and carrots back into pan.
- Turn up the heat and pour in the wine.
- Quickly bring the mixture to boil, then turn down heat to a simmer.
- Let everything cook at a gentle simmer for 25mins, turning chicken from time to time.
- Lift chicken out of the pan, and place into a bowl/plate.
- Cover to keep warm.
- Pour the cream into pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the fresh parsley.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Let sauce thicken while the mushrooms cook.
- (You want the sauce to reduce substantially so that the liquid is a nice, thick, delicious gravy.) When ready, put the chicken back into the pan and heat through again before serving.